Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rest Day

HSPU Day 17 - 17 done (9-8)

Much-needed (and earned!) rest day today.

Analyzing my improvements over the last two weeks, I see some areas where I need some serious work still and others that may benefit from some temporary changes.

Squats: are great...perfect form, and I'm still getting stronger. When I do stop improving so quickly I'll throw in a different stimulus (like front squats, overhead squats, etc.) and see if that helps.

Deadlifts: are absolutely perfect and still improving by leaps and bounds. I won't really need to do a whole lot of changing things up to continue getting stronger with this lift. I'll change the set/rep scheme if my progress does happen to slow down.

Bench: is a basic movement and form was easy to redevelop, though I still feel I can do more weight...and my pull strength is still higher and that leaves me out of balance so I need to keep working hard on it.

Press: now this one is frustrating me. I have yet to see any kind of improvement on this lift. So what I'm going to do is introduce a different stimulus for the next couple times I do the workout that includes it. Tomorrow, I'll be doing push jerks. Two workouts later, I'll do 5 sets of 3 reps. Then I'll go back to the 3 sets of 5 reps and see where I'm at then.

Power Clean: I need to do a LOT of work on my form, so I'm going to start from the ground up and completely relearn the lift. That means I won't start gaing heavy on it until I feel like I've improved enough on my form.

No comments: